Video: Chaos erupted at Newark Airport after a flight attendant shouted for people to evacuate

Newark Airport

Passengers at New York’s Newark Airport fled onto the tarmac Monday night over fears of an active shooter in the Terminal A building.
The pandemonium was set off when a flight attendant, suspicious of two men in the terminal, hit an alarm and shouted for passengers to evacuate.
Police questioned the two men but quickly released them, saying they had done nothing wrong.
Video posted to Twitter shows luggage and belongings strewn across the terminal, dropped by passengers as they ran.

Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.

Chaos erupted at Newark Liberty International Airport on Monday night as rumors of an active shooter situation broke out at the airport.

Passengers waiting for their flights fled through any exit they could, dropping their carry-on luggage and bags as they streamed out onto the airport’s tarmac.

Gate attendant yelled “evacuate” and then the whole terminal ran for any exit possible. All ended up on the tarmac and police have detained one person @EWRairport #newark

— Cody Bernstein (@C_Bern) September 3, 2019

The incident was unfolded when a flight attendant for Alaska Airlines, who was walking through Newark’s Terminal A at about 8:30 p.m., asked “a series of questions” of a pair of men sitting by one of the gates.

Initial reports were that the two men fled; however, a spokesperson for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey — which operates the airport — said on Tuesday that the flight attendant was concerned after speaking with the two men, leading her to hit a security alarm and tell people to evacuate the area.

The alarm triggered a panic throughout the terminal, as rumors of an active shooter proliferated almost instantly. 150–200 passengers “self-evacuated ramp-side” onto the tarmac, according to the Port Authority.

Insane situation here at Newark Airport. They just told us all to evacuate and whole terminal scattered. Bags left behind. I initially thought it was an active shooter. Maybe a bomb threat. Confusion and chaos

— David Lombardi (@LombardiHimself) September 3, 2019

Port Authority Police responded and found that there was no active threat. Officers located the two men and questioned them, although they were “found to have done nothing wrong and were released,” the spokesperson said.

Passengers and employees who fled the area were required to go through security screening a second time, the airport said on Twitter, although the spokesperson said that airport operations — meaning departures and arrivals — were not impacted.

The flight attendant, who was scheduled to work a flight to San Francisco, was also questioned by police. She was still being questioned as of late Monday night, the Port Authority told Business Insider.

Alaska Airlines’ scheduled evening flight to San Francisco — AS 325, set to depart at 7:35 p.m. — was cancelled, according to FlightStats.

Newark update: They’re letting us back in the airport. Absolute chaos. People looking for their things. I’ve never seen anything like this. Terrible. Just terrible.

— Erin Fors (@forsie) …read more

Source:: Businessinsider – Finance


(Visited 4 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *