Ask Amy: If I quit Facebook, the rapist wins

Dear Amy: About 20 years ago, I was raped by my close friend’s longtime boyfriend.

Columnist Amy Dickinson (Bill Hogan/Chicago Tribune) 

Basically, after drinking at a bar, I was so messed up, they took me to the place where they were staying. Looking back, I think I may have been drugged, because I basically could not move. (I’ve never been a heavy drinker.) When I woke up, he was on top of me.

It changed my life forever!

Lately, I see his comments on Facebook, on mutual friends’ pages. It is really frustrating.

In the past, I just didn’t use Facebook much, but during the pandemic, I’ve frequented FB more often, because I am trying to keep up with distant friends.

Related Articles

Ask Amy: I found these letters that might hurt my half-sister

Ask Amy: I was not the best parent, and now I’m being punished

Ask Amy: My mom says this man is part of our family, but I can’t forgive him

Ask Amy: Am I being a prude about my boyfriend’s ‘cam work’?

Ask Amy: We had a little fight and he’s been silent for two months

I’m not sure how to resolve this. I’ve debated sending these mutual friends a private message saying that I may drop them as friends because of him — and tell them why.

Sometimes I want to call him out on others’ pages when I see his friendly or happy-go-lucky posts.

I never pressed charges when this happened because I guess I was embarrassed and vulnerable. Now as an older person, I wish I had pressed charges to resolve some of my anger. I wish he had been punished for taking so much trust away from me.

  Leah Messer: I Lost My Virginity When I Was 13!

Should I just quit Facebook? If I do, I feel that he wins.

 Hanging On

Dear Hanging On: I have a number of recommendations. None of them involve you calling out this man to mutual friends. Please understand that even if you send a private message, the recipient could take a screen shot of that message and distribute it publicly. This could backfire badly.

First, you should communicate with a counselor at You can speak with someone by phone, or use their very helpful “chat” function to basically text back and forth. You need to talk about what happened to you. It is never too late to benefit from supportive counseling.

States have varying rules regarding reporting a rape, and has state-by-state guidelines posted on their site.

If legally allowable in your state, you should consider reporting this to the police. It is widely understood that victims of sexual assault sometimes don’t report until many …read more

Source:: The Mercury News – Lifestyle


(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *