SALT LAKE CITY — The Utah Transit Authority is partnering with Ski Utah, Protect Our Winters and local resorts to encourage skiers and snowboarders to ride UTA, carpool or rideshare on Sunday in an effort to improve air quality and decrease canyon traffic congestion.
“POW Day is all about showing that taking public transit or carpooling to the mountains is not only a feasible option in Utah but also a great way to help make a difference,” Ski Utah President and CEO Nathan Rafferty said in a statement. “We want to help spread the word and educate locals and visitors alike so that these behaviors will become second nature.”
According to UTA, Jan. 13 is statistically the snowiest day in Utah based on 50 years of snow data, making it a great day to hit the slopes. Skiers and riders who carpool, rideshare or take UTA to participating ski resorts on that day can share their journey on social media using the hashtag #POWDay19 to be entered to win a variety of prizes, including one of five UTA ski bus passes worth $20 each.
Participating resorts will also offer the following benefits:
• Alta Ski Area will offer preferred parking for carpools with three or more people at the Wild Cat Base Area on first-come, first-served basis.
• Snowbird will offer preferred parking for carpools with three or more people at Entry 1 and Entry 2 on first-come, first-served basis.
• Solitude Mountain Resort will offer referred parking for carpools with three or more people in the Moonbeam Base Area, Entry 1 on first-come, first-served basis.
• Sundance Mountain Resort will off preferred parking for carpools with three or more people in the lower parking lot on first-come, first-served basis.
• Powder Mountain will give UTA bus riders and carpools with three or more people a two-for-one weekday ticket voucher and a POW sticker. The first 200 guests will get a free coffee or hot chocolate coupon, subject to availability.
More information on POW Day 2019, including a full guide to riding the UTA Ski Bus, can be found at skiutah.com/powday.
Source:: Deseret News – Utah News