Jamal Khashoggi, a prominent Saudi journalist and critic, went missing after visiting the Saudi consulate in Istanbul last Tuesday.
Turkish officials reportedly believe a 15-member team “came from Saudi Arabia” and carried out a “preplanned murder” on him.
The New Yorker reported on Sunday that Khashoggi had feared for his life since at least August this year.
Saudi Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman denied knowledge of the attack and said his kingdom had “nothing to hide.”
Turkey has reportedly asked for permission to search the consulate as its president said he was “still hopeful” that Khashoggi was alive.
Canadian officials have expressed concern. US State Department officials are reportedly frustrated by the lack of a substantive response to Khashoggi’s disappearance.
Jamal Khashoggi, the missing Saudi journalist and critic whom Turkish officials say was killed in the kingdom’s Istanbul consulate, feared for his life as early as August.
The 59-year-old journalist, who contributed to The Washington Post, had been “convinced” in August that the Saudi Arabian leadership was out to kill him, The New Yorker’s Robin Wright wrote on Sunday.
Wright wrote: “‘Of course, they’d like to see me out of the picture,’ he said. He’d said it to me before, but by then he had been in exile, in Washington, for more than a year, so I thought he was exaggerating the dangers. Maybe not.”
Khashoggi lived in self-imposed exile in the US for the past year and vanished last Tuesday while visiting the Saudi consulate in Istanbul. He had been trying to obtain a document to verify his divorce so that he could remarry, the BBC reported.
His fiancée, a Turkish woman named Hatice, said she waited for Khashoggi outside the consulate from 1:00 p.m. local time until after midnight, and did not see him leave, the BBC said. She also returned when the consulate reopened the next day.
Turkish investigators believe a 15-member team “came from Saudi Arabia,” and that “it was a preplanned murder,” The Washington Post reported, citing an unnamed person who has knowledge of the investigation.
Turan Kislakci, a friend of Khashoggi and the head of the Turkish-Arab Media Association, told the Associated Press that Khashoggi was made to “faint,” and was dismembered. This allegation was based on conversations with Turkish officials he did not name, the Associated Press said.
Yasin Aktay, an advisor to Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and friend of Khashoggi, also told Reuters: “My sense is that he has been killed… in the consulate.”
Hatice, Khashoggi’s fiancée, also tweeted on Saturday: “Jamal is not dead! I don’t believe he’s been killed!”
جمال لم يقتل ولا اصدق أنه قد قتل …! #جمال_الخاشقجي #اختطاف_جمال_خاشقجي pic.twitter.com/5SHyIEqqiT
— Hatice Cengiz / خديجة (@mercan_resifi) October 6, 2018
Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia — whose hardline crackdown on dissent has intensified over the past year — has denied knowledge of Khashoggi’s disappearance.
Erdogan, however, said he was “hopeful” that Khashoggi is still alive. Turkey has reportedly asked for permission to search the Istanbul consulate.
Saudi: “We have nothing to hide”
Mohammed bin Salman, the 33-year-old crown prince …read more
Source:: Businessinsider – Politics