Coronavirus: Football, other high-contact sports not allowed in San Francisco, like rest of California

Tougher rules are in place in San Francisco that will prevent the return of high-school football and other high- and moderate-contact sports in the county as allowed under a new set of state guidelines released last week.

A spokesperson for the San Francisco Department of Public Health confirmed only purple-tier sports are allowed in the county but said that it was continuing to evaluate its policy regarding youth sports.

“This is an area where San Francisco’s health order is currently more restrictive than the state’s,” SFDPH said in a statement provided to this news organization. “We’re reviewing this new approach by the state to see what changes, if any, are warranted in our local order. At the moment, the only youth sports allowed in San Francisco are those approved in the purple tier.”

Related Articles

Return of prep sports: De La Salle announces six-game football schedule

Prep sports & coronavirus: Football advocacy leaders pass baton to basketball coaches

COVID-19 & preps: Blossom Valley Athletic League plans March 15 start

Santa Clara County to allow prep football, other outdoor sports, following California’s lifting of COVID-19 restrictions

Column: How Santa Clara County’s silence harms prep athletes

On Friday, the California Department of Public Health released revised guidelines that permitted all outdoor sports in counties with adjusted case rates below 14 per 100,000 residents, a threshold San Francisco currently meets. The new order takes effect Friday, Feb. 26, allowing new access to practice and competition in sports such as football, baseball, softball, soccer, lacrosse, rugby and water polo.

  Colorado is home to the country’s only indoor ice climbing gym — and it looks as cool as it sounds

Santa Clara County, which along with San Francisco has imposed some of the toughest coronavirus restrictions in the country, did not initially commit to following the relaxed state guidelines. On Monday, however, Dr. Sara Cody, the county’s health officer, said it would issue new orders to align itself with the state.

This is a breaking news story. Check back for updates.

…read more

Source:: The Mercury News – Sports

      

(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *