Summary List Placement
Good morning and welcome to 10 Things in Tech. If this was forwarded to you, sign up here.
Let’s get started.
1. Bill and Melinda Gates reportedly didn’t sign a prenup. With nearly $150 billion at stake, they will split their property according to a “separation contract” they’ve agreed to instead. Bill Gates is the fourth-richest person in the world; here are 11 facts that show just how wealthy he really is.
2. A Silicon Valley realtor said the exodus from the region is overhyped. Instead, it’s been a move to more affordable, spacious areas with better weather — but it is slightly easier than usual to buy a house near tech campuses like Google. More data on the tech elites’ great migration (or lack thereof).
3. Some Peloton customers reported injuries and safety concerns as early as 2019. Peloton is facing backlash after reports that the Tread+ led to 38 injuries and a child’s death. We spoke with five customers who experienced issues. Here’s what they told us.
4. Donald Trump started a blog. Months after getting banned from Twitter and Facebook – and just before the Facebook Oversight Board’s expected decision today — Trump has created a personal website to share statements, images, and videos. What we know so far.
5. Signal tried to buy Instagram ads that would show users how Facebook targets them. The ads would have displayed personal information that Facebook utilizes to target users — but Signal says Facebook shut down its account instead. View the ads that got blocked.
6. A judge ordered Tesla to turn over documents related to Elon Musk’s $55 billion compensation plan. Shareholders sued Tesla in 2018, arguing its board wronged investors by awarding Musk such a lucrative package. Now, Tesla has to give up communications between Musk and its top lawyers. Get the full rundown.
7. Bill Gates added a $43 million beachfront home to his sprawling real estate portfolio last year. His empire also includes a $130 million Washington mansion, horse ranches in Florida, and a San Diego beach house. See Gates’ property holdings around the country. Melinda Gates also made a big purchase before the divorce: $1.2 million cottage in Seattle.
8. More than 500,000 people have ordered or placed a deposit for its Starlink internet service, SpaceX said. The company also launched 60 more Starlink satellites into orbit on Tuesday to power the product. More on that here.
9. An electric-vehicle company is building a car with Uber specifically designed for the ride-hailing industry. The company, Arrival, is designing a fully electric car that is better suited for ride sharing than the typical Toyota Prius or Honda Civic. Here’s what to expect.
10. Five top venture capitalists reveal the favorite cybersecurity startups in their portfolios. The cybersecurity market is booming since investors pumped a record $7.8 billion into the industry last year. See the startups backed by plugged-in investors.
Have an Amazon Alexa device? …read more
Source:: Businessinsider – Tech
Marvel Studios & Disney+ | SUPER BOWL 2021 | Promo