The creators of ‘League of Legends’ will pay $10 million to settle a class action lawsuit alleging gender discrimination


Riot Games

Riot Games, the company behind “League of Legends,” settled a class action lawsuit accusing the company of gender discrimination.
Last year, Riot acknowledged that its work culture had fostered sexual harassment and misogyny. The company suspended Chief Operating Officer Scott Gelb and began an overhaul of its internal policies.
Riot Games still faces an ongoing investigation from the California Department of Fair Employment and Housing stemming from concerns of unequal pay between men and women and sexual discrimination.
Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.

Riot Games, the creator of “League of Legends,” will pay $10 million to settle a class action suit that accused the company of fostering a sexist work environment. Two employees, one former and one current, filed the suit in California Superior Court in November 2018 accusing Riot of denying them equal pay and blocking their career advancements on the basis of gender.

The suit alleged that Riot created a sexist work environment by fostering “bro culture” that normalized sexual harassment and misogyny aimed at employees of both genders. In December 2018 Riot suspended Chief Operating Officer Scott Gelb for upholding that culture of toxic masculinity, following reports that he had farted on employees and repeatedly hit their genitals as a running joke.

According to reports from ESPN, plaintiffs Jessica Negron and Gabriela Downie will receive the highest payouts from the settlement, $10,000 each. After accounting for legal fees and litigation, approximately $6.2 million in settlement payments will be distributed between the remaining members of the class action suit.

An attorney for the plaintiffs, Ryan Saba, told ESPN that the case had resulted in one of the largest gender inequality settlements in California’s history.

Riot announced the class action settlement in a joint statement with the plaintiffs on August 23. At the time, Riot said it chose not to pursue litigation in favor of progressing past the dispute as a company.

“While we believed that we had a strong position to litigate, we realized that in the long run, doing what is best for both Riot and Rioters was our ideal outcome,” the company said in a blog post. “Therefore, rather than entrench ourselves and continue to litigate, we chose to pivot and try to take an approach that we believe best demonstrates our commitment to owning our past, and to healing the company so that we can move forward together.”

Read more: The company behind one of the biggest video games in the world was just slammed with a lawsuit alleging its ‘bro-culture’ created a sexist workplace where women were rated on their ‘hotness,’ told that ‘no doesn’t necessarily mean no,’ and shown unsolicited photos of male genitalia

Riot has been overhauling its internal policies and company culture since reports of gender discrimination surfaced in August 2018, but some employees have remained critical of its approach. In May more than 100 employees participated in a walk-out of the company’s Los Angeles studio to protest a newly introduced forced arbitration policy for workplace disputes.

Rioters Against Forced …read more

Source:: Businessinsider – Tech

      

(Visited 4 times, 1 visits today)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *